A modelling agency works as a model representative or agent to find a job for them. Due to the nature of the fashion industry, it is difficult to find your own clients, or work as a freelancer, so agents are becoming increasingly important in the success of the models. Most agencies are small businesses run by industry veterans – they employ an agent which is really the interface between the model and the clients he works for.
Each agent may have multiple models he or she might manage. Apart from the smaller institutions, there are some well-known giants in the business. They have managed many models and supermodels. Here are some tips on how to find a good casting model agency who can help you start your career.
Tips on Finding the Modeling Agency
- Look for an agency in the fashion capitals of the world. Cities like Milan, Paris, New York, London, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Rome etc have a lot of fashion agencies and fashion designers who need your services. If you are not a runway or a fashion model, you may find agencies in relatively smaller cities too.
- Open casting call event where the agent will be looking for new faces. Attending an open casting call is a great way to contact an agent.
- If you are a veteran model, you have to use the network and referrals to land agents. Contact your old clients and people in other industries that you know about their needs, and ask for a referral to a modelling agency they work with.
- Use the Internet to find a model agency. Creating a portfolio on a site like these is always a good idea – modelling agency can go into this and contact from the website itself.
- Be careful of scam artists and sham institutions. Always read your contract carefully before you sign on the dotted line.